Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Polenta with Mushrooms and Tomatoes

Josh liked this, but I don't like polenta, so I wasn't a fan.  I might like it over rice.

Ingredients:
1 cup med. ground cornmeal
1/4 cup soy milk
2 T vegan margarine
2 T olive oil
8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. savory
1 tsp. basil
pepper
1/4 cup white wine
1 (28 oz) can Italian style diced tomatoes, drained

1. In large saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer and add cornmeal and salt to taste, stirring constantly.  Cook stirring until thick, about 20 mins. During last 5 mins of cooking, stir in soy milk and margarine.  Keep warm.
2. While polenta is cooking, heat 1 T. of oil in large skillet over med-high heat. Add mushrooms and sear on both sides.  Reduce heat to med., add garlic, savory basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in wine, then add tomatoes.  Simmer to heat through and blend flavors (about 10 mins).
3. To serve, spoon polenta into shallow bowls and top with mushroom-tomato mixture. Serve hot.

~ by J & J

2 comments:

  1. It probably could have used some onions, too...I might sautee some onions with the mushrooms if I make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! Any ides how to get Dad to like mushrooms? :(

    Mamalucci

    ReplyDelete